Saturday, November 5, 2011

Halloween was postponed this year

On Saturday October 29th we experienced a freak snow storm. It started around 12:30. And it was wet, heavy, large flake snow. Some parts of the state got up to 16 inches! In October!!! In the afternoon people were already losing power. Luckily we just had the power flick on and off a few times. Not so luckily however, all the one and off of said power fried the DVR box in my bedroom. Needless to say, that night I wrote a post just about that. So I settled for watching DVDs and shows that I could get on the converter box. Unfortunately that did not include the ID channel. A whole day without shows about murderers, bite your tongue!

We were all up early on Sunday :( and it was about 10:00 am when I was going to start my Pirates of the Carribean marathon. As my luck would have it, before I even got the DVD into the DVD player, we lost power FOR GOOD! And as Mike's luck would have it, he just had started laundry! Within 5 minutes I was already losing my mind. We were lucky enough to lose power during Hurricane Irene, but not so much this time. The boys didn't notice, they just kept on playing. Mike went down to start ringing out the laundry since the washer stopped full of water. We called Macgray to see if we could get out money back somehow. They said they don't usually refund but would send us a check. Which we got yesterday for $5.00. See it pays to call because you never know!

So we all loaded into the car sans shower :( which if you know me, you know that was not kosher for me, OCD and all. We brought Boomer to my parents even though they didn't have power either and  we brought the boys home so they could have power, the apartment was getting cold. After that we filled up the gas which was an excellent idea because starting the next day the lines were ridiculous if you found a gas station open. We headed back to Waterbury and went to eat at Frankies. They were one of the few places with power so everyone was there. We didn't mind waiting though and I kept a sharp eye on the people eating and was stealth and able to get a table.

Mike called his Mom and they luckily had power. They lost it for a week during Hurricane Irene. So we stopped back home and saved the milk, cheese, chicken nuggets we just bought on sale and of course the ice cream. They let us store in at there house and we were able to do.our laundry there.

They had power but no cable. And almost no one had cell signal because tons of cell towers were damaged. So we all sat around the table and talked. Mike, Bill and Joey played Stratego. We tried to start calling around for a hotel. But we had a hard time getting signal. We loaded up the truck and headed home.

Unfortunately Mike hit the sunroof button when he wanted to turn on the light. Well the sunroof is broken. So there was no getting it closed and it was getting cold fast. He was able to get enough signal to make a few calls. We found a hotel in New Haven, but then we asked to make sure they had power. Not so much, then they found a room for us in West Haven that had power. And we reserved it. We decided to only take one car because Mike's job was cancelled for Monday, no power, and we took the van because the sunroof was stuck open. And with my truck it will charge your phone even without it running. So we left it so my parents wouldn't be without their phone.

We headed up the 2 flights of stairs to the apartment carefully. Once we got in we found the kids Halloweem lanterns, jackpot! We grabbed what we needed and headed to my parents. Told them our plan and off we went. It was about 8:30 pm when we stopped in Derby to get gas. When Mike was coming out from paying a mouse ran across his foot!

When we got to the Econolodge we were greatful that we called ahead and made the reservation. There was a line in front of us and the only rooms left we jacuzzi rooms and were going to cost more than twice what we were paying. People were there that drove from Danbury still looking for rooms. It was 10:00 pm when we got to our room. First thing I did, SHOWER! Watched some tv and then fell asleep. I was up and down all night! It totally sucked. We decided the next morning that we would go home that night and just deal.

Mike brought me to work at 9:30 am. It was the first time he had ever been there and I gave him the grand tour. He went home, brought all our crap in the apartment, got my parents hot food and then hung out at his parents. He was even able to get the sunroof closed! And found out both his jobs for Tuesday were on because they were running on generator.

He picked me up from work and we went back to his parents. We had goulash for supper and played board games until I was so tired I wanted to go home. The apartment was FREEZING! We put on a second blanket. I was just right but he was very cold. I had a candle going in the bathroom all night since I spend so much time in there.

And yes, this was Halloween. Since 80% of the town still didn't have power, trick or treating was postponed until today, Saturday. It was cold and deafening quiet all night. Neither of us slept well at all.

Tuesday Mike got up and went to work. During the night I got a headache which turned into a migraine by morning. I couldn't barely move. So I was not going to work and the apartment was in perfect condition for when you have a migraine, cold, dark and quiet! Around 11:00 am Mike called. I was hungry. He planned to stop at McDonald's, pick me up and go to his Moms. The line at McDonald's was nuts but he's a trooper.

We went to his parents and ate and warmed up. Then they got cable back so we started watching tv :) Mike had to get his keys from Hal so he ran home. And guess what? We had power and cable!!!! He came back and brought me home. He had to go to work so I caught up on tv :) When he got home he had BOOMER! He was finally home again. And all was right with the world.

And that's my boring story. And Mike took Victoria trick or treating tonight. Unfortunately I have an effin migraine again so I've been in bed. But Mike's the bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment